Britannica Dictionary definition of COMEBACK1a : a return to a former good position or condition
- The species was nearly extinct but is now making/staging a comeback.b : a return to being popular or fashionable
- Short skirts were out of fashion for many years, but now they're making/staging a comeback.c : a new effort to win or succeed after being close to defeat or failure
- The team was trailing after the first half, but they made/staged a comeback and won in the second half.
- The team mounted a comeback in the second half of the season.2: a quick reply or response
- She seemed to have a clever comeback [=retort] for everything I said. see also come back at 1come