You asked, so we providedeasy-to-follow instructions on how to set up your electronic devices to write in Urdu! Well also give you a few excellent tips on how to use this keyboard, as well as some online and app alternatives if you prefer not to set up a Urdu keyboard.
Table of Contents
1. Why its Important to Learn to Type in Urdu
Learning a new language is made so much easier when youre able to read and write/type it. This way, you will:
- Get the most out of any dictionary and Urdu language apps on your devices
- Expand your ability to find Urdu websites and use the various search engines
- Be able to communicate much better online with your Urdu teachers and friends, and look super cool in the process!
2. Setting up Your Computer and Mobile Devices for Urdu
It takes only a few steps to set up any of your devices to read and type in Urdu. Its super-easy on your mobile phone and tablet, and a simple process on your computer.
On your computer, youll first activate the onscreen keyboard to work with. Youll only be using your mouse or touchpad/pointer for this keyboard. Then, youll need to change the language setting to Urdu, so all text will appear in Urdu. You could also opt to use online keyboards instead. Read on for the links!
On your mobile devices, its even easieryou only have to change the keyboard. We also provide a few alternatives in the form of online keyboards and downloadable apps.
3. How to Activate an Onscreen Keyboard on Your Computer
1. Go to System Preferences > Keyboard.
2. Check the option Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in Menu Bar.
3. Youll see a new icon on the right side of the main bar; click on it and select Show Keyboard Viewer.
1. Go to Start > Settings > Easy Access > Keyboard.
2. Turn on the option for Onscreen Keyboard.
3- Online Keyboards
If you dont want to activate your computers onscreen keyboard, you also have the option to use online keyboards. Here are some good options:
4- Add-ons of Extensions for Browsers
Instead of an online keyboard, you could also choose to download a Google extension to your browser for a language input tool. The Google Input Tools extension allows users to use input tools in Chrome web pages, for example.
4. How to Change the Language Settings to Urdu on Your Computer
Now that youre all set to work with an onscreen keyboard on your computer, its time to download the Urdu language pack for your operating system of choice:
- Windows 8 (and higher)
- Windows 7
- Mac (OS X and higher)
1- Windows 8 (and higher)
- Go to Settings > Change PC Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language.
- Click on Add a Language and select Urdu. This will add it to your list of languages. It will appear as اردو with the note language pack available.
- Click on اردو > Options > Download. Itll take a few minutes to download and install the language pack.
- As a keyboard layout, youll only need the one marked as Urdu اردو. You can ignore other keyboard layouts.
2- Windows 7
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region.
2. On the Region and Language option, click on Change Keyboards or Other Input Methods.
3. On the Keyboards and Languages tab, click on Change Keyboards > Add > Urdu.
4. Expand the option of Urdu and then expand the option Keyboard. Select the keyboard layout marked as Urdu. You can ignore other keyboard layouts. Click OK and then Apply.
3- Mac (OS X and higher)
If you cant see the language listed, please make sure to select the right option from System Preferences > Language and Region
1. From the Apple Menu (top left corner of the screen) go to System Preferences > Keyboard.
2. Click the Input Sources tab and a list of available keyboards and input methods will appear.
3. Click on the plus button, select Urdu, and add the Urdu keyboard.
5. Activating the Urdu Keyboard on Your Mobile Phone and Tablet
Texting and searching in Urdu will greatly help you master the language! Adding a Urdu keyboard on your mobile phone and/or tablet is super-easy.
You could also opt to download an app instead of adding a keyboard. Read on for our suggestions.
Below are the instructions for both iOS and Android mobile phones and tablets.
1. Go to Settings > General > Keyboard.
2. Tap Keyboards and then Add New Keyboard.
3. Select Urdu from the list.
4. When typing, you can switch between languages by tapping and holding on the icon to reveal the keyboard language menu.
1. Go to Settings > General Management > Language and Input > On-screen Keyboard (or Virtual Keyboard on some devices) > Samsung Keyboard.
2. Tap Language and Types or + Select Input Languages depending on the device and then MANAGE INPUT LANGUAGES if available.
3. Select اردو from the list.
4. When typing, you can switch between languages by swiping the space bar.
3- Applications for Mobile Phones
If you dont want to add a keyboard on your mobile phone or tablet, this is a good app to consider:
6. Urdu Keyboard Typing Tips
Typing in Urdu can be very challenging at first! Therefore, we added here a few useful tips to make it easier to use your Urdu keyboard.
How you type Urdu depends on the Urdu keyboard youre using. If the Urdu keyboard displays all the characters, its easiest to use.
However, if all the characters are not displayed at once, then you can always use the Shift button to use the characters that arent being displayed.
2- Mobile Phones
If youre using the QWERTY keyboard, then its identical to any other computer keyboard. Writing Urdu on this keyboard is relatively easy as compared to the shortened version of the keyboard.
7. How to Practice Typing Urdu
As you probably know by now, learning Urdu is all about practice, practice, and more practice! Strengthen your Urdu typing skills by writing comments on any of our lesson pages, and our teacher will answer. If youre a UrduPod101 Premium PLUS member, you can directly text our teacher via the My Teacher appuse your Urdu keyboard to do this!