Download Article Co-authored by Patti Novak Williams and Hunter Rising
Last Updated: July 15, 2022 References
Download Article X
This article was co-authored by Patti Novak Williams and by wikiHow staff writer, Hunter Rising. Patti Novak Williams is a Professional Matchmaker in Las Vegas, Nevada. With over 20 years of experience, Patti specializes in working with clients one on one to help them find love. She has helped match hundreds of couples, engagements, and marriages. Patti was the star of the critically acclaimed A&E series Confessions of a Matchmaker. She has been featured in the New York Times, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, and The Wall Street Journal, and has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, TODAY with Hoda and Kathy Lee, The Rachael Ray Show, CBS The Early Show, CNN, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, The Nate Berkus Show, and Foxs The Morning Show With Mike & Juliet. Patti published a book in 2008 with Random House titled Get Over Yourself!: How to Get Real, Get Serious, and Get Ready to Find True Love.
There are 8 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 39,771 times.
While its usually the most respectful to end a serious relationship in person, its okay to send a breakup text if youve only been on a few dates, have something casual, or dont have another safe option. We know that its tough to go through any sort of breakup, so keep reading our list of all the things to include in your message so its the most mature and respectful!
1 1 of 10:Lead with a compliment.
Saying something nice about the person helps lessen the blow. Avoid gushing too much about your partner, or else theyll get a lot of mixed messages. Instead, reference something about one of the dates you went on or make a vague compliment about their personality. X Research source Go to source
- For example, you could start your text, "Hey Adam, I really appreciated you getting me coffee at the cafe last night."
- As another example, you could say, "Hi Zack. You seem like a fun and sensitive guy."
2 2 of 10:Start the next sentence with to be honest.
Beginning a sentence this way breaks the news more gently. Letting him know that youre genuine shows that you put some thought into the decision so hes less likely to get upset. Tell him the truth, but dont say anything harsh that will hurt his feelings. X Research source Go to source
- For example, the next sentence could read, "But to be honest, Im not interested in a romantic relationship anymore."
- As another example, you might say, "To be honest though, Im just not feeling the spark we used to have."
3 3 of 10:Mention youre not a good fit.
Being direct with your breakup avoids sending mixed messages. Tell the guy clearly that you want to end the relationship so he doesnt get confused. Avoid casually hinting at breaking up or sending vague messages leading up to your conversation. Even though that may seem kinder at the moment to avoid saying it, its better to be upfront about it. X Research source Go to source
- For example, you could say, "I just dont think were a good match for the long-term."
- As another example, you could try, "I havent felt a good connection and think it's time to move on."
4 4 of 10:Give a reason if you want to tell them.
Mentioning a short reason keeps the person from questioning your decision. You can be as specific or vague as you want with your response, but dont feel like you need to tell him everything. Its okay to just let him know you werent feeling anything without going into more detail. X Research source Go to source
- For example, you could say, "It doesnt feel like were compatible, so this relationship just isnt working."
- As another example, you might say, "Ive noticed weve argued more and more lately, and I dont want that in a relationship."
5 5 of 10:Use I statements.
Focus on how youre feeling rather than shifting the blame on your partner. Avoid telling the guy about all of his flaws since its only going to hurt him more. Instead, focus the message on how youre feeling and what you want to do. Youre the one breaking up with him, so take responsibility for your feelings. X Research source Go to source
- For example, instead of saying, "You go out and party with your friends too much," you could say, "I feel left out and alone when Im not invited out."
- As another example, you should say, "I feel like were having trouble talking through things," instead of saying, "You always start arguments."
6 6 of 10:End on some positives from the relationship.
Some closing sentiments let them know that you appreciated them. Even though youre breaking up, reflect back on the good times you had with your partner. Bring up how theyve changed you for the better or how they affected your life. This shows that you care about how the other person feels and that they left an impression on your life. X Research source Go to source
- For example, you could say, "Ill always appreciate how you made me more patient, and I wish you the best moving forward."
- As another example, you might say, "Thank you for all the good times we had even though things didnt work out in the end."
7 7 of 10:Be respectful when you reply.
You can still deliver bad news without being mean or harsh to the person. The guy might have questions about the breakup, so stay polite as you respond. Look at it from their point of view and show that you understand where theyre coming from, but stay firm on your decision. X Research source Go to source
- For example, you might say, "I know that youre feeling upset and I completely get why, but I have to be honest with my emotions."
- As another example, you could write, "I hear you and I understand what youre saying, but I still think breaking up is the best decision for us."
8 8 of 10:Keep your message and conversation brief.
Only say as much as you need to so you dont back out of your decision. Even though you might be feeling a lot, try to keep it short and avoid listing a lot of reasons why youre dumping him. Keep your text as short and to the point as possible so your message comes across clear. X Research source Go to source
- For example, your text in full might read, "Hi Alex. Youve been a really fun and supportive guy, but to be honest, Im not feeling the spark we used to have. Im noticing that were not talking as much anymore, and its probably best if we break up. I enjoyed all the good times we had even though it didnt work out for us. I wish you the best."
9 9 of 10:Cut it off completely.
Let him know it's over so you don't could lead him on. Avoid saying anything that implies you could get back together in the future or be friends, or else the guy might feel like theres still a chance. After you break up, avoid reaching out and make it clear that you dont want to see each other again. X Research source Go to source
- If the guy doesnt leave you alone after the breakup, block his number and his social media accounts so he cant reach you.
10 10 of 10:Break up in person if youve been dating for awhile.
Its disrespectful to cut off your relationship over text if things were serious. Even though it may feel easier to send a text to end it with your guy, its going to be a lot more hurtful later on. Show your boyfriend some respect and that the relationship was important to you by having the discussion face-to-face. X Research source Go to source
- An in-person break-up gives your partner an opportunity to get closure.
- If you dont feel safe seeing him in person, at least do it over the phone or on a video call instead of over text.
- Question Is it better to break up in person or over text?
Patti Novak Williams Professional Matchmaker & Dating Coach Expert Answer It's always better to break up in person. If you've decided to end things, your head isn't in the game anymore, but theirs still might beso, it's really important to be sensitive to the other person's feelings. You owe each other mutual respect and kindness!
- Always think through if you really want to break up so you dont make a decision that youll regret. X Research source Go to source
- If youve been on more than 45 dates or are in a long-term relationship, dumping your partner over text could really hurt their feelings or come across as disrespectful. At least give them a phone call or try to meet in person if its safe to do so. X Research source Go to source
- Breakups are tough even if you do everything the right way. Its okay if you feel sad or depressed afterward. Let yourself experience those feelings and reflect on why it was the right choice for you. X Research source Go to source
You Might Also Like
How toRespond to a "How Was Your Day?" Text
How toMake a Guy Horny over Text
11 Texts to Tell a Girl She's Beautiful
How toRespond to an "I Miss You" Text
How toText a Girl for the First Time
10 Ways to Keep a Girl Interested over Text
How toRespond to a Flirty Text from a Guy
How toMake a Girl's Hormones Rise over Text
How toRespond to Good Morning Text
How toText Your Crush and Start a Conversation
13 Things to Do When a Girl Doesn't Reply to Your Texts
How toAsk a Girl Out Over Text
How toRespond to a "How Are You" Text
How toPrank Someone over Text
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/8005c989-3226-435b-b87c-da5ece40fad3More References (4)
About This Article
Co-authored by: Patti Novak Williams Professional Matchmaker & Dating Coach This article was co-authored by Patti Novak Williams and by wikiHow staff writer, Hunter Rising. Patti Novak Williams is a Professional Matchmaker in Las Vegas, Nevada. With over 20 years of experience, Patti specializes in working with clients one on one to help them find love. She has helped match hundreds of couples, engagements, and marriages. Patti was the star of the critically acclaimed A&E series Confessions of a Matchmaker. She has been featured in the New York Times, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, and The Wall Street Journal, and has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, TODAY with Hoda and Kathy Lee, The Rachael Ray Show, CBS The Early Show, CNN, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, The Nate Berkus Show, and Foxs The Morning Show With Mike & Juliet. Patti published a book in 2008 with Random House titled Get Over Yourself!: How to Get Real, Get Serious, and Get Ready to Find True Love. This article has been viewed 39,771 times. Co-authors: 8 Updated: July 15, 2022 Views:39,771 Categories: Texting In other languagesBahasa Indonesia:Mengakhiri Hubungan Romantis Melalui Pesan Teks (untuk Perempuan) Español:dejar a tu novio por mensaje de texto Português:Terminar com o Seu Namorado por Mensagem de Texto
- Send fan mail to authors Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 39,771 times.