WH- questions (Question Words)
There are two main types of questions: Yes/No questions and WH- question. WH-questions are questions starting with WH-words including: what, when, where, who, whom, which, whose, why and how.
Question words are used to ask about specific qualities, times, places, people and so on. Below is a list of question words and example sentences:
Used to ask about things
- What are you doing?- What do you think about the movie?
Used to ask about time
- When will the meeting start?- When are you leaving?
Used to ask about places
- Wheres my bag?- Where do you live?
Used to ask about people
- Who do you love the most in your family?- Who told you that story?
Used to ask about people (object of verb)
- Whom did you see in the morning? I saw Mr. Mark, my English teacher.- Whom was Jim talking to? He was talking to Jack, his new roommate.
Used to ask about choices
- Which one do you choose? The left or right?- Of all the drinks in the menu, which one would you like?
Used to ask about possession
- Whose pencil is this? Is it yours?- Whose books are these?
Used to ask about reasons/ causes
- Why did it happen? I didnt understand.- Why is he crying?
Used to ask about manner/ process
- How can you explain this problem? Please tell us.- How can you get here?
I. How to form WH-questions?
1. with an auxiliary
WH-WORD + AUXILIARY + SUBJECT + MAIN VERB ?
- Auxiliary verbs are helping verbs (not main verbs).
- Common auxiliary verbs include be, do, have. Others are will, shall, would, can, could, must, should, may, might, etc.
- What do you do for a living?
- Why should we read books?
- When is she coming?
2. without any auxiliary(when WH-words replace subjects already)
WH-WORD + MAIN VERB ?
- What happened to Peter?
- A bad accident happened to him today.
- Who won the game?
- Tio won the game.
- Who gave you this present?
- My cousin gave me this present.
II. Responding to WH-questions
- What is it?
- Its a table.
- What color is your dress?
- Its purple.
- What is your mom doing?
- Shes cooking in the kitchen.
- What do you think about the party?
- Well. Its fun. I like the music best.
- What will happen if our team loses this time?
- Well be out of the game.
- When will the train arrive?
- The train will arrive in 30 minutes.
- When does she get up?
- She gets up at 6 am.
- When did the party end?
- It ended before 8 pm.
- When are you going to visit James?
- Im going to see him tomorrow.
- Where do you live?
- I live in Washington D.C.
- Where are you going?
- Im going to the zoo.
- Wheres the coffee bar?
- Its between the supermarket and the cinema.
- Where did you leave my jacket?
- I left it in my bedroom.
- Where have you been?
- Ive been in the library reading books.
- Whos this?
- Shes my new roommate.
- Who wants to be a scientist in the future?
- My sister does. I dont.
- Who would you like to travel with?
- I would like to travel with my best friend, Kim.
- Who told you that secret?
- Jenny did. She told me everything.
- Who do you like the most in this class?
- I like Henry. Hes so friendly.
- Whom should we talk to?
- We should talk to the principal. Shes responsible for student issues.
- Whom did you see yesterday?
- I saw Kevin and his girlfriend.
- Whom would you like to interview?
- I would like to interview Mr.Patrick, the director.
- Whom do we have to contact?
- We have to contact the representative of that company.
- Whom did you meet in front of the building last week?
- That was Annie, my secretary.
- Whom do you know in this class?
- I only know Danny.
- Whom are you going to invite?
- Im going to invite all of my classmates
- With whom do you agree?
- I agree with Henrys team.
- Which shirt do you like?
- I like the one with the big yellow star on it.
- Which color do you choose?
- I choose red.
- Which part do you like the most in this story?
- I love the 2nd part when the prince came and proposed to the princess.
- Which is the longest river in the world?
- Thats the Nile.
- Which one is yours?
- Mine is the biggest one.
- Whose jacket is this?
- Its my moms.
- Whose birthday is today?
- Its Jennys.
- Whose pencil is on the floor?
- Thats mine.
- Whose team is better?
- Wills team is much better.
- Why dont we visit him now?
- Its a good idea.
- Why did you leave so early?
- Because I didnt enjoy the party.
- Why do you think that he loves you?
- Because hes given me lots of chocolate on Valentines day.
- Why do people celebrate Thanksgiving?
- Because its a special day.
- Why cant I go to the cinema now?
- Because you havent done your homework.
- Why are you so late?
- Sorry, teacher. I missed the bus.
- Hows the weather?
- Its sunny and hot.
- How do you feel?
- I feel much better now.
- How did you know him?
- We were old friends.
- Hows your new job?
- Its interesting. I enjoy it.
- How often do you go to the movie theater?
- I sometimes go there. Im quite busy.
- How far is it from your house to school?
- Not too far. I walk to school every day.
- How much did it cost?
- It cost $4.
- How many people are there in your class?
- There are 30 of them.
- How come you lost the game?
- I couldnt answer the first question well enough.
Wh Questions Test
Welcome to your Wh Questions1... did you see earlier today?
I saw James, the new football player.
Who Which How2.. did you do last weekend?
I watched movies and played hockey.
Who What Whom3 will you leave?
After the meeting.
Who Whom When4 is David?
Hes still fine. Thanks for asking.
Who Whom How5.. ball is this?
Who Whose Whom6. gave you this present?
That was my boyfriend, Harry.
Who Whom Whose7. did he not come?
He was busy all day.
How Why When8.. suitcase is mine?
The blue one. The other is Janes.
Who Whose Which9.. long did it take to make such a big cake?
It took 2 hours.
What When How10 was the weather like on Monday?
It was raining a lot.
How When What
Get Our Basic English Grammar Ebook (pdf)
Want to download all the grammar lessons to learn offline? For just $4.99, you will get instant access to our Basic English Grammar ebook (pdf, 93 pages). It includes 40 basic English grammar lessons covering most of the English grammar tenses and most-used structures.
Get Our Grammar EbookP/S: For more English lesson packages, check out 0ur Resources Page here.
- Basic English Grammar Lessons