No one wants a potential connection to fizzle out just because the conversation is stalling. Luckily, there are tons of ways to rekindle a conversation with any new match.
If youve sent a killer first message, but the conversation is slowing down now, take a look at these tips. Ill show you how to get any dry Tinder conversation back on track with a few easy strategies.
Table of Contents
- What Do You Do When a Tinder Conversation Is Going Nowhere?
- 1. Change Up Your Messages
- 2. Send a Funny Joke or Meme
- 3. Exchange Numbers
- Why Do Conversations Go Nowhere on Dating Apps?
- How Do You Start a Conversation Again on Tinder?
- What Do You Say to Revive a Dead Chat?
- How Do You Keep a Conversation Going over Text on Tinder?
- How Do You Keep a Girl Interested on Tinder?
- Get Personalized Tips for Successful Online Dating Conversations
What Do You Do When a Tinder Conversation Is Going Nowhere?
When a conversation goes south, your first instinct might be to ditch it. But hold off on that until you try some of these tricks to get the conversation flowing again. To save a dying Tinder conversation, try changing up your messages, sending a picture, or exchanging numbers.
You might be able to tell that the conversation above is heading is going nowhere. Both people asked a few questions to get the conversation flowing, but because they were too short and to the point, things went south.
To fix this dull exchange, they should add more detail to their responses and ask better questions:
- Instead of Yeah! Yourself? they should try, Yeah, I slept really well! Ive been tired because work is kicking my butt. How about you?
- Instead of Morning, Sleep well? they should try, Morning! How was your night last night did you get up to anything fun?
Those two could also really benefit from this next tip.
1. Change Up Your Messages
Sometimes all a conversation needs is a change of pace. If youve been sending paragraphs of text, try sending short responses with a question. Or, if youve been keeping your messages short, try lengthening them to give your match more to work with.
See the difference in length of these two matches? One person is sending blocks of text, and the other is sending one-word answers. If a conversation dies down, try switching things up to make it easier on your match.
Instead of How was your day? try, How was your day? I went for lunch with my friend at the best taco place!
2. Send a Funny Joke or Meme
A good joke can bring any Tinder convo back from the brink of death. If youve been chatting with a match for a while, find a joke based on something youve talked about before.
An alternative is to send a funny picture or a meme you think theyll like. By joking around, your match might feel less pressure to send the perfect response and will find it easier to open up.
3. Exchange Numbers
This tip will work best if youve been chatting for longer than a day. One step towards igniting a conversation is to change the platform.
Sometimes a dating app just isnt the best place to keep chatting. If youve been getting along with your match, asking for their number or giving yours can show them youre still interested.
Try something like: Id love to keep chatting over text! My number is _______.
Why Do Conversations Go Nowhere on Dating Apps?
When a conversation starts to die off, you might wonder if you did something wrong. Dont worry the truth is that its hard to have a successful conversation on any dating app.
Most likely, a dead conversation isnt your fault. Sometimes its even hard to tell if a Tinder conversation is going well. Unless you sent an offensive message, chances are just that your match got busy or even stressed about responding the right way.
It isnt easy to keep a texting conversation going, even with a friend. So, it makes sense that a Tinder conversation with someone you barely know doesnt take top priority.
Instead of looking at it as something you did wrong or the person not being into you, try and reframe it. Give one of my tips a shot, and if the conversation still doesnt gain traction, it might be time to find a new match.
This Tinder exchange is a great example of a conversation thats going nowhere. Both people seem uninterested in talking by giving short, boring answers with no personality.
To pick things up, they should try asking more intriguing questions and give some excitement in their answers. Something like: Im doing swell I just had a delish breakfast and am heading to the gym! How did you start your day? would really get this conversation into gear.
How Do You Start a Conversation Again on Tinder?
Maybe youve been chatting with a match for a week or so, but the conversation died out a few days ago. Or, you both got busy and havent talked in months. Its a great idea to try and reignite an old Tinder conversation with someone you liked!
Messaging old tinder matches can be successful if youre still interested in the person and want to see where things go. Its not weird to reach back out to someone you were previously getting along with the worst thing that can happen is you dont get a response!
To chat with an old Tinder match, try making a joke, asking them whats new, or being honest (maybe not as honest as the person in the conversation above). Here are some examples of how to restart a conversation:
- How has life been since we last chatted? I remember you were really busy with work has it calmed down?
- Just stopping by to say hello! Im sorry I couldnt get our conversation moving before, but Id like to try again.
- Its been a while! You look like you havent aged a day
Learn the dos and donts for messaging old Tinder matches.
What Do You Say to Revive a Dead Chat?
If your conversation just started to die out, there are a few ways you can revive it. One thing I always recommend to clients of my dating app services is to ask questions.
Its the best way to get to know someone, and people are much more likely to feel interested if they know youre a good conversationalist and care about what they have to say.
Other than asking questions, here are a few ideas for how you can revive a dead Tinder conversation:
1. Give an Update on Something Interesting that Happened Since You Last Spoke
Try something like:
- Youre not going to believe what happened to me at work yesterday!
- I finally got around to starting Game of Thrones! You were right its awesome.
- I just went to the best bar, youd love it! Have you been to that new place downtown?
2. Find Something New on Their Profile to Talk About
Take another peek at their profile to see if you can find something new. Its always a good idea to revert back to finding a connection, so look for something that interests you. Hopefully, they have something to work with, unlike the person in this conversation:
3. Ask Them on a Facetime Date (or an In-Person Date!)
If you really want to get to know a person, a phone call, facetime, or IRL date is the best way to do so. Its also an excellent opportunity to send another message and move things forward!
- It would be great to know you more off Tinder. Are you free for a phone call this week?
- Id love to take you on a date this weekend! Im free Friday or Saturday, we could go to that bar downtown?
Learn my top 8 tips for meeting a girl from Tinder.
How Do You Keep a Conversation Going over Text on Tinder?
If you have a great Tinder bio and sent an amazing first message, the easiest ways to keep a conversation going are to ask questions and share about yourself. Just like on an in-person date, you want to leave the conversation feeling like you got to know each other.
Another way is to play a game like 21 Questions, Two Truths and a Lie, or Trivia about something you both like. If your conversation is getting a little dull, suggest one of these games for a casual and entertaining way to keep things going!
How Do You Keep a Girl Interested on Tinder?
If you want to know how to keep a conversation going on Tinder with a girl, it isnt as intimidating as it sounds. Girls want the same thing as guys to connect with someone and have a fun conversation. But, you can make it easier by trying these tinder conversation examples:
Give Them a Compliment:
- I love your style. Where is that t-shirt from in your second pic?
- Youve got a gorgeous smile!
- Wow, youre beautiful. Are you that gorgeous on a normal day?
Ask Some Questions:
- I see youre a travel bug! Whats the most beautiful place youve ever traveled to?
- Have you seen the new Marvel movie?
- Mimosas or breakfast in bed on a Saturday?
Just keep it real, be yourself, and show her you bring something special to the table.
Get Personalized Tips for Successful Online Dating Conversations
Are you struggling to start Tinder conversations and get replies? I can help. I have proven methods for getting you more matches, replies, and dates. As a dating profile ghostwriter, I can also make your profile more attractive for potential matches.
Get in contact with me to learn more about my dating approaches and maximize your online dating success.