High School Level
This shows grade level based on the word's complexity. High School Level
This shows grade level based on the word's complexity.
(used as a conventional greeting).
QUIZ YOURSELF ON "IS" VS. "ARE"
"Is" it time for a new quiz? "Are" you ready? Then prove your excellent skills on using "is" vs. "are."
IS and ARE are both forms of which verb?
Words nearby how do you do
Other definitions for how do you do (2 of 2)
[ hou-duh-yuh-doo ]SHOW IPA
/ ˈhaʊ də yəˈdu /PHONETIC RESPELLING
noun, plural how-do-you-dos.Informal.
a greeting; salutation: She smiled and gave him a how-do-you-do fit for a king.
an awkward or unpleasant event or situation: It's a fine how-do-you-do that they've refused to help us out.
Also how-de-do[hou-dee-doo]. /ˈhaʊ diˈdu/.
Origin of how-do-you-do
First recorded in 162535
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2022
How to use how do you do in a sentence
- When they thought about Lewis, what struck the players most was that he never acted like a do-gooder.
- The Internet cool kids are rallying against Taylor Swift after her bold screw-you to Spotify.
- For more better-for-you beverages, check out these 10 Healthy Holiday Cocktail Recipes.
- Dwyer was present for many of the events he describes, providing a you-are-in-the-room feel.
- Because that minimum-wage hike was a project of the federal government, and that means that you-know-who was for it.
- The ne'er-do-well blew, like seed before the wind, to distant places, but mankind at large stayed at home.
- With time this land had mounted to great values and the holders had been made well-to-do thereby.
- His parents were of the well-to-do farming class, occupied from one year's end to the other with the work of the fields.
- But it certainly was a great to-do, murmured Jessie, as she tried to see what the boys were doing.
- Widder Morse wants to ape these well-to-do folks that live tother end o Whiffle Street.
SEE MORE EXAMPLESSEE FEWER EXAMPLES
British Dictionary definitions for how do you do
Also: how do?, how d'ye do? a formal greeting said by people who are being introduced to each other or are meeting for the first time
informal a difficult situation
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Other Idioms and Phrases with how do you do
A conventional greeting used mostly after being introduced to someone, as in And this is our youngestsay How do you do to Mr. Smith. Although it is a question, it requires no reply. Originally, in the 1600s, this expression was an inquiry after a person's health or standing, how do you do meaning how do you fare? Today we usually express this as How are you? or How are you doing? or How goes it? or How's it going? Even more general are the slangy locutions How are things? or How's tricks? All of these greetings date from the first half of the 1900s.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.