Download Article Co-authored by Cher Gopman
Last Updated: February 20, 2022 Approved
Download Article X
This article was co-authored by Cher Gopman. Cher Gopman is the Founder of NYC Wingwoman LLC, a date coaching service based in New York City. 'NYC Wingwoman' offers matchmaking, wingwoman services, 1-on-1 Coaching, and intensive weekend bootcamps. Cher is a Certified Life Coach, a former psychiatric nurse, and her work has been featured on Inside Edition, Fox, ABC, VH1, and The New York Post.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has 54 testimonials from our readers, earning it our reader-approved status.
This article has been viewed 547,118 times.
No matter how your crush found out that you like him, there are many things you can do to make interacting with him less awkward. Before you can do anything, you have to make a decision. Do you want to let things settle, or are you ready to make your move and talk to your crush directly about how you feel? Either option is okay, and it's completely up to you to decide what the next step is going to be. Once you make the decision, you'll be ready to take the next steps to resolve the tension and be normal around your crush again!
Method 1Method 1 of 2:Staying Calm Around Your Crush
1Don't stop talking to him about "everyday" things. When you find out that your crush knows you like him, don't let this turn your relationship into something awkward and unpleasant. Try to continue talking about the things you normally would. For example, if you have classes together at school, don't hesitate to talk to him about your assignments. Keeping a casual attitude will make your interactions much easier.
- Keep in mind that he probably doesn't know that you know about him. If you keep your cool, you can buy a little extra time for yourself to come to grips with the situation.
2Try not to fixate on the situation all the time. When you're worried about how your crush knows you like him, constantly thinking about the situation is one of the worst things you can do. Try to keep your mind off of him by staying busy with your day-to-day activities. X Research source Go to source You can even avoid him for a day or two if it gives you time to calm down, although you won't want to do this for too long if you eventually plan on making a move.
- It can help if you don't think of the situation as a "problem." It's not necessarily a bad thing that he knows you like him. After all, would you be angry or upset if you knew someone liked you? Probably not.
3Don't stress out about who he's talking to. Having a crush on someone can make even the most rational, level-headed people jealous. Try not to get too invested in who your crush is talking to.The odds are that he's not playing hard-to-get or doing it to hurt your feelings he's just having friendly conversations with the people around him like he usually does.
- He's also probably not talking about you, so don't fall prey to paranoid thoughts like, "He's telling everyone about how I like him!" Unless he's really immature, he probably wouldn't even consider doing that. EXPERT TIP
Cher Gopman Dating Coach Cher Gopman is the Founder of NYC Wingwoman LLC, a date coaching service based in New York City. 'NYC Wingwoman' offers matchmaking, wingwoman services, 1-on-1 Coaching, and intensive weekend bootcamps. Cher is a Certified Life Coach, a former psychiatric nurse, and her work has been featured on Inside Edition, Fox, ABC, VH1, and The New York Post.
Instead of worrying about who he's talking to, join his group of friends. Hanging out with your crush and a group of friends is an excellent way to get to know each other better. Then you can try going for coffee or a movie alone together.
4Remember that he, too, is probably nervous. Your crush is just a normal, everyday human being like you. Many of the same things that make you nervous probably make him nervous. Since he knows you like him, he probably gets a few butterflies in his stomach when he talks to you. Keeping this in mind can make it much easier to deal with him how scary can talking to someone be when you know he's just as nervous as you?
ADVERTISEMENT Premium CBD Products That Actually Work
Because Feeling Better Is Everything
At FOCL, we set the standard in wellness by using premium organic CBD, powerful adaptogens, and calming botanicalsproviding relief for your body and mind. Free shipping and 25% off using code "wiki25"! SHOP NOW
Method 2Method 2 of 2:Making Your Move
1Decide whether you will admit your crush. Sooner or later, you need to commit to either talking to your crush about the way you feel or staying silent. Being undecided about a crush is a terrible feeling. Making a decision can be scary, but it gives you closure. You get to either take things to the next level with your crush or start moving on, but either way you don't have to worry about it anymore.
- Often, honesty is the best policy. Being open about your crush can feel like taking a huge weight off your chest no matter what happens, you were true to your heart. It also lets you avoid nagging feelings of regret. In other words, you won't be wondering, "What would have happened if I had talked to my crush?" in a few weeks. Try explaining to him that you don't want to ruin the friendship and you wouldn't like it to be awkward. Usually he would accept that and try to keep things as normal as they were before whilst deciding his next move.
- On the other hand, if you really don't want to open up about your crush or you have good reason to think it's a bad idea, you shouldn't ever feel like you need to. An example of a situation where it would be a bad idea to act on a crush is if your crush is already with someone else.
2If you want to come clean to your crush, don't put it off. If you decide that you're going to open up to your crush, don't waste time waiting for the "perfect moment." It probably will never come. In the meantime, your crush may lose interest or even start to think that you don't like him anymore. Pick a time and place where you can be alone with your crush and stick to this. Your best chances for romance will come if you seize the opportunities you are given. X Research source Go to source
- For example, if your crush is someone you know from school, you might arrange to meet this person after school in a secluded spot. It doesn't have to be 100% deserted just reasonably private. A park bench, for instance, will usually work fine.
3Keep things casual. Opening up to your crush doesn't have to be a huge, dramatic production. In fact, if you make a big deal about it, you may even scare your crush off. Instead, keep the conversation low-pressure and casual. This will make it much easier for him to give you an honest answer.
- You don't even have to outright say that you have a crush. Instead, you can simply invite him to spend one-on-one time together. For example, you might start the conversation by saying something like, "Hey, Spanish class has been fun. Do you want to get some lunch and go to the fair with me this weekend? I hear the enchiladas they have out there are amazing."
4Don't be put off by his shyness. Even if you keep things very low-pressure, your crush might get a little shy. X Research source Go to source Don't worry about this. Don't take silence or awkwardness as a sign that he doesn't like you. These things just show that he is having a hard time getting his words out. Give him plenty of time to take in what you're saying and encourage him to come to a conclusion when he's ready.
- He shouldn't even feel like he needs to answer you right away. Getting a date offer or having someone admit they like you can take a day or two to fully process. Consider saying something like, "Take your time you don't have to tell me today."
5Accept his decision (even if it's "no"). Respect your crush's ability to come to his own decisions, even if you don't like the one he makes. If he says no, just casually say, "Oh, OK" and make your exit. Don't pester him with repeated questions or try to get him to change his mind. On the other hand, if he does accept your offer, congratulations!
- After a "no," you may want to limit the amount of time you spend with this person for a couple days. You don't have to outright ignore him, but if your feelings are hurt or if it's hard to stop thinking about it, give yourself some distance for a little while until your emotions die down. X Research source Go to source
Community Q&A Did you know you can get expert answers for this article? Unlock expert answers by supporting wikiHow
- Question What should I do if my crush knows I like him?
Cher Gopman Dating Coach Expert Answer
Support wikiHow by unlocking this expert answer. Showing confidence is the most attractive trait you have. Show your crush that you're confident with who you are and then build on that. Become that fun, confident person with whom everyone wants to hang out. Your crush is more likely to be attracted to you this way.
- Question I told my best friend who my crush was, and now she's trying to make us interact. After I broke my foot, she was telling him to go keep me company, and she was "introducing" us earlier on. What do I do?
Alex Top Answerer Chances are that your friend is just trying to make you two interact because she's rooting for you and wants you and your crush to be together. She likely doesn't mean to upset you (and may not even realize this bothers you), so if you're not comfortable with it, find a private moment and talk to her about it using "I" statements. Calmly say something to her like, "I feel [emotion] when you try to make [your crush's name] hang out with me, because [reason why it makes you feel that way]. Could you please not do that?"
- Question My crush found out that I like him, but he likes someone else. He knows that I like him but ignores it and acts like it is all normal. What do I do?
Alex Top Answerer It sounds like he's trying to act normally and not make your friendship awkward, so it's a good idea to assess your own feelings. Are you okay with just being friends, or are your feelings too intense for that? If you don't feel like you can be friends without being sad or jealous, you might want to get some distance from him so you can stop liking him. If you feel like you can just be friends, though, then it's okay to act like you did before he found out you like him. It might feel weird or embarrassing at first, but remember, he feels awkward too, even if he's not showing it!
- If you're a girl, don't be afraid to ask your crush on a date. This is no longer something that only guys have to do, so feel free to take action!
- Don't bring up other girls he has been talking to. This can make him feel that you are jealous, which can be intimidating.
- Don't make your crush feel bad about not liking you; it's partially genetically predefined who we feel attracted to, and you don't know what personal experience keeps a crush from being interested in you.
- Keep it classy and don't go off on the friend who told him.
- Don't tell him you like him, and then walk away without waiting for his response. This can cause him lots of confusion as to his feelings about you.
- Dont get nervous and start giving long explanations when talking to him. Act natural as if he is any ordinary person you talk to every day.
- If he says no, don't get mad. He might be back in the future!
- Take your time. Make sure you get his proper response before you try to make a move, but keep things casual, keep talking until big things happen.
- If you find yourself staring at your crush a long time, find ways to make him look at you like twirling your hair or walk past him.
- If you are friends with your crush go ahead and tell him your true feelings. If you think this will ruin your friendship you better believe it doesn't ruin anything at all. It really helps in making things better between the two of you. So go ahead and confess, then accept the decision he or she makes wholeheartedly. Don't stop being friends... at any point in time cause crush, like and love are just next levels of friendship in a way.
You Might Also Like
How toBe a Good Girlfriend
How toStop Liking Your Crush
How toKnow if a Guy Likes You
How toKnow if a Guy Likes You in School
How toText a Guy You Like
How toChoose Between Two Guys
How toTalk to a Guy You Like
How toShow a Guy That You Like Him
How toDetermine if a Guy is Nervous Around You Because He Likes You
How toHook Up with a Guy
How toImpress a Guy on Snapchat
How toGet a Boy to Like You (Teens)
How toGet a Boy in Middle School to Like You
How toAttract the Guy You Have a Crush On
About This Article
Co-authored by: Cher Gopman Dating Coach This article was co-authored by Cher Gopman. Cher Gopman is the Founder of NYC Wingwoman LLC, a date coaching service based in New York City. 'NYC Wingwoman' offers matchmaking, wingwoman services, 1-on-1 Coaching, and intensive weekend bootcamps. Cher is a Certified Life Coach, a former psychiatric nurse, and her work has been featured on Inside Edition, Fox, ABC, VH1, and The New York Post. This article has been viewed 547,118 times. Co-authors: 76 Updated: February 20, 2022 Views:547,118 Article Rating:79% - 118 votes Categories: Crushes on Boys Article SummaryX
Its natural to feel a little awkward when your crush knows you like him, but keep talking to him like you normally would to keep things casual. Dont worry if he seems quiet or awkward, since hes probably nervous too. If you want to make a move on your crush, ask him to hang out after school or at the weekend. For example, say something like, Hey, do you want to get some food and go to the fair with me this weekend? I hear the enchiladas they have are amazing. Dont be offended if he says no, since you can still be friends with him and youll find a new crush in no time! For more tips, including how to manage feelings of jealousy if your crush talks to other people, read on!In other languagesEspañol:lidiar con tu crush cuando él sabe que te gusta Русский:вести себя, если парень узнал, что нравится вам Português:Lidar Com Sua "Quedinha" Quando Ele Sabe que Você Gosta Dele Français:se comporter avec un garçon lorsqu'il sait que l'on est amoureuse Bahasa Indonesia:Bersikap jika Pujaan Hati Mengetahui Perasaan Anda العربية:التعامل مع شخص يعرف بإعجابك به Nederlands:Omgaan met je vlam als hij weet dat je hem leuk vindt 中文:在暗恋曝光后和他相处
- Send fan mail to authors Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 547,118 times.
Reader Success Stories
Jun 16, 2017 "I've liked a boy for a while now and there were rumors that he liked me, but I never thought about it. I decided to tell him how I felt because, after all, you only live once, and have to make the most of it. I gave him a note which said how I felt, and my best friend gave it to him. I was so nervous, I could not tell you! I had my book in my face and didn't look at him. Later on, he told my best friend that he liked me, too. I smile at him occasionally, but I just get so nervous. "
Jul 13, 2017 "I told my friend how I felt about a guy I liked, and of course, she spilled the beans. I didn't talk to him for a week. Luckily when she told him, he didn't make a huge deal out of it. Now we are really good friends and I got over the fact that she told him, but I don't tell her big secrets like that anymore . I actually tell her things that I want her to tell other people." Rated this article:
Nov 2, 2017 "I had my friend talk to him about going to homecoming with me, but he said he didn't know if he likes me or not, so things didn't really work out. He ended up talking about going with his girlfriend, so this article really helped me learn that even if it doesn't go your way, just know there's someone way better in the world for you." Rated this article:
May 25, 2017 "Thank you so much! I Already have done all of method 1 and step 1 of method 2, but other than that, I was a scaredy cat around him. This has helped me so much! The only thing is, it's too late for tip 4. I already did that."
Sep 9, 2021 "My friend told my crush that I like him, he came up to me and my best friend and started talking to my friend, ignoring me. He looked jealous that a different friend hugged me later. Am I crazy or could he like me?"
Apr 18, 2016 "Knowing that he is probably just as nervous talking to me that I am him, I would say helped the most. Otherwise without that information I would probably be a nervous wreck, so thanks."
May 11, 2018 "Hey, wikiHow! This helped me a lot by just learning the fact that when a guy finds out about your feelings, he will be just as shy as you are. A great article, as always! Thanks!"
Feb 14, 2017 "When I like a guy he always finds out. Which is OK. Some guys just want to mess with your feelings. But I usually end up being better friends with that guy."
Oct 13, 2017 "This helped me because my crush knows I like him and I get really nervous around him now. After reading this article I realize I just need to stay calm." Rated this article:
Nov 22, 2016 "First I just smiled and held my gaze, but after that I started talking to him and telling him how I felt, and he shared the same feelings. Thanks. "
Feb 19, 2018 "I haven't made a move yet, but I will because of this article. I don't know if he knows I like him, but I know his mom does. So thanks, wikiHow." Rated this article:
Dorothy Joan Bonanno
Oct 15, 2017 "This article helped me a little. I'm still scared about confronting him about him knowing that I like him. He's been acting all shy and stuff." Rated this article:
Mar 11, 2017 "My crush knows I like him, so reading this made it a lot easier for me to calm down and find out how to deal with it. Thanks!"
Sep 22, 2016 "I told my crush that I liked him, and guess what? He likes me too! I feel that telling him was the best decision I have made."
Dec 22, 2020 "I have a crush, he is cute and he can be suspicious with girls! He and my brother have the same birthday! Thank you wikiHow!"
Nov 9, 2017 "My best friend is too shy to talk to her crush since he already knows she likes him, so I wanted to give this to her." Rated this article:
May 20, 2017 "I had a recent situation like this with my crush. This gave me a lot of good tips on what to do about it. Thank you!" Rated this article:
Apr 17, 2017 "I told my crush that I liked him and he's been around me a lot lately. I'm only 11, so this has really helped me."
Dec 8, 2016 "This site has helped me a lot. Now I know my crush likes me and how to feel about all of this. Thanks wikiHow."
Dec 3, 2016 "The tip that helped me the most was if his friends talk or joke about him liking me, then it's probably true."
May 4, 2017 "I have a crush on this guy and I kept it secret, but my friend went and told him. He said he already knew."
Apr 5, 2018 "I love wikiHow. Every time I am in a situation, I come here. It's the best, I'm glad I found it."
Dec 11, 2019 "This article helped me overcome my shyness near my crush, and now I'm comfortable with him. "
Jan 18, 2018 "What helped me most in this article is that it said make your move. So I did."
Jun 16, 2017 "You truly helped me win over my crush after a long period of hustle & sweat. " Rated this article:
Dec 20, 2016 "Teaching me how to maintain a relationship with a crush or a close friend."
May 21, 2017 "I loved the fact how it said in this article to stay calm and act casual."
Feb 6, 2017 "This really helped me stay calm around my crush, this is super helpful!"
Aug 5, 2017 "The article helps me about the keeping calm when he is around me."
Feb 10, 2017 "Helps if he has a crush on you and he like you more than friend." More reader stories Hide reader stories